Friday, September 7, 2012

7 Simple Steps to Creating Systems

Does the thought of creating processes and systems for your business scare the pants off of you?
OK, maybe not complete fear BUT surely it sends you into procrastination mode!
I get that. It took me a long time to understand the challenges most people have with creating systems because for me it comes naturally.
I am that person who...
  • has to start at one end of the grocery story and weave up and down every aisle crossing items off of my grocery list as I go.
  • runs errands one day a week in a circular pattern. Yep, I look at where I need to go and I travel a route that begins at my house and logically ends at my house.
  • realizes that driving across town to use a $2 off coupon is not wise. Gas alone costs more than that, not to mention the value of MY time!
So since these things come naturally to me, you can imagine why I so easily develop systems for my business and I want to help you do the same.
Sometimes we make things a LOT harder than they need to be. I like SIMPLE without sacrificing effectiveness and efficiency.
Here are my steps to creating systems. Did I mention... you MUST have systems if you plan to get Big Business Results?
And the teacher in me hopes using the letters in PROCESS will help you remember the steps. Oh, and use them of course!
PLAN- Systems won't happen by hoping. You have to plan to create systems.
RECORD- A good system begins by writing down what you do to complete a task. But since this is where the overwhelm comes in, please focus on creating systems for no more than 3 tasks at a time.
OBSERVE- Once you finish recording, I want you to use your notes the next time you complete the task. It would be even better if you can give your notes to someone else to use as a guide for completing the task.
CHANGE- Following your notes will help you catch things you may have overlooked and make changes to clarify what you have recorded.
EVALUATE- How do you know if a system is good unless you evaluate? Use your revised notes to examine the steps and how long it takes to complete them.
SIMPLIFY- Remember, a good system is efficient, effective and adaptable so now it's time to make your process a simple as possible. We all do things in our business that are unnecessary, repetitive or overlapping. Find those areas and get rid of the junk.
SYSTEMIZE- Now you have clear accurate notes. Type them up, give it a title and wahla you have a system.
The BEST part about having a system is being able to pass your formal document off the a team member for completion with the confidence that it will get done the way YOU want it to be done.
THAT is how you get Big Business Results!

No comments:

Post a Comment